Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Smoking the Ribs

On Sunday morning I played tennis and was a bit late at getting the ribs started. I first had to wipe off the "sludge" and rub the ribs with Wildtree Herbs rib rub. (Check this company out.  Their products are superior.)  Next, I placed the ribs over indirect heat.  Mound the charcoal (around 15 pieces), and cover in hickory chips which have been soaked over night. The ribs were smoked for 2 1/2 hours and about every 45 minutes I added a few fresh briquettes and more wood chips.


When finished, I then took the ribs off, and wrapped individually in tin foil and put back on indirect heat for another 2 hours. I actually ran into a bit of a problem during this process because a thunderstorm popped up and it started raining. I  had to stand outside with an umbrella to keep the grills dry. Eventually I had to move each one to the front porch to finish the process.  Nothing was going to stop me now!


After the 2 hours in foil, I "amped up" the fire in the grill and placed the ribs, uncovered, over the heat and  began to coat with sauce.  Half were cooked with regular BBQ sauce and the others in a South Carolina inspired mustard based sauce - the favorite among our guests.


This part of the cooking only takes a short time as you are finishing off the ribs before serving.  Robin had also brined some corn on the cobb for 30 minutes and then I cooked it on the grill for 10-12 minutes--absolutely the best way to cook corn on the cobb.



The meal was complimented with Robin's homemade potato salad, Emily's garden salad and homemade vinaigrette, corn, and plenty of beverages.  This process, while time consuming, is definitely worth it. 


While I would love to take credit, I learned these techniques from barbecue expert Famous Dave Anderson.  If you love barbecue and down-home roadhouse cuisine, this cookbook is a must-have.  Just peruse the pages and your mouth will water!


No comments:

Post a Comment