Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Life by the Sea


One of the more interesting cookbook projects I have had the pleasure of working on is A Life by the Sea.  This book was written by one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet, Dean Maxx.  Dean is the Executive Chef at the Harbor Beach Marriott Resort in Ft. Lauderdale; when I talk about cookbooks with great stories alongside a recipe, none can compare to A Life by the Sea.


This hardback, full color cookbook is filled with interesting stories about Dean’s childhood and actual “life by the sea”.  The coffee table volume is illustrated with a great mix of food photos taken by Quentin Bacon along with natural seaside shots.  The front narrative, written by Dean, is warm as well as educational.


Here’s what Dean had to say when I asked him why he wrote the book.


On the course of a chef’s life, we run through many inspirations, events, and passionate moments that define our careers.  I always enjoyed my youth and think that it was the perfect layout for designing a creative chef.  I grew up on a farm where nature and creation were right at your fingertips, and later moved to south Florida where the sea was my best friend.  My first book is a visual journey through a life touched by the ocean.  I grew up with stories of crabbing with my brother, fishing with my dad, clamming with my friends and enjoying family gatherings with huge spreads of home made goods.  When seafood and vegetables are embedded in your brain like this with memories of great times of childhood, it’s hard not to carry that through everyday of your life. 


          I started working on my book in the summer of 2004 when I was sitting on the beach and thinking that I really need to buckle down and write about my joy of seafood and my passion for the sea.  So there it started on the beaches of south Florida as I enjoyed a cold beer in an old wooden beach chair as the waves crashed on my feet.  I wanted to answer all the questions that had been asked to me by my customers for the past 15 years.  Why did you choose that combination?   What goes good with Salmon?  How do you cook soft shell crabs?  And the list went on.  "A Life by the Sea" is a unique seafood cookbook that balances the technique of a perfect cooking guide, the insight of a passionate chef, and the visual experience of a photographer’s coffee-table masterpiece.  I wanted to simplify the mystery of seafood cooking, and give the reader the tools to make smart decisions in their home kitchen and free them from following a recipe so strictly.  The food, the scenery and the thoughts were designed to take each reader to their best memories of the ocean.  It took almost 2 years to get it together, but it as well worth the wait.


 


Each chapter has a seafood glossary that is illustrated and is followed by mouth-watering recipes and seafood cooking techniques and tips.  One feature that is particularly notable is Dean’s willingness to share basic sauces with us towards the end of the book.  If you are a seafood lover, this book should be a part of your collection.


The book is available through several sources—many coastal Marriott properties carry the book in their shops, or you can order through www.thecookbookmarketplace.com or on www.amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment