Monday, October 1, 2012

Part 3. A Guest Opinion

The term "community" cookbook can be interpreted in a variety of ways. I asked one of our team members, Alison Nash, to tell me about her favorite community cookbook and what she liked about it. Alison is quite a "foodie" herself so I was not surprised at her choice.

Here's what she had to say:

"I admit I was first attracted to Salt to Honey for one main reason: the cover photography practically made me salivate. I’m a huge honey fan, and I figured any book that had it dripping all over the cover and in the title had to be a good one.

I am certainly not disappointed. I have tried quite a few recipes already, and I’ve been very pleased with them all. I love that they call for a lot of fresh ingredients and that everything isn’t poured out of a can. At the same time, none of the recipes are so complex that you wouldn’t want to try them.

he cookbook also does a great job of highlighting local specialties, such as Miller’s Honey, Beehive Cheese, and Morgan Valley Lamb, but doesn’t call for ingredients so specific to the area that I’m unable to make them here in Tennessee. Restaurant recipes often come across as much too difficult to attempt, but the restaurant recipes here make me want to invite some friends over and entertain! In Salt to Honey, mentions of specific brands and restaurants are often accompanied by interesting and informative non-recipe text about the local companies, restaurants, and traditions familiar to Salt Lake City that makes you want to visit the area, or at the very least read more about it.

The Junior League has done a fantastic job combining more traditional recipes (think Parker House Rolls, Chicken Potpie, and Peanut Butter Pie) with more trendy recipes that are sure to become new favorites and never go out of style—recipes like Curry Chicken Salad (a must try!), Tapenade Lamb Kabobs, and Apple Fontina Bites. And, as promised on the cover, there are plenty of recipes that utilize honey: flavored honey butters, Honey Walnut Chicken, and Honey Pecan Tart, just to name a few.

Salt to Honey has definitely earned a permanent spot in my kitchen, and I look forward to cooking from it for years to come."

So far we have discussed one "hot off the press" title, one 50-year-old title and one relatively new title. Each has centered around a different community and were produced for different reasons. I plan on featuring one or two other examples in the next few weeks but would like to know your thoughts.

If you picked out your favorite in this genre what would it be and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment