Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Vacation Dining

While the emphasis for this blog is regional cookbooks I want to change direction today and mention a few great meals my wife and I enjoyed on vacation recently. When our daughters got out of high school, we changed our routine of vacationing during spring break to vacationing in October. For the last eight or nine years we have gone to the panhandle of Florida near Destin, FL each fall for a week or sometimes more.

Over that time we have identified several restaurants that we always return to. In addition, we try a couple of new ones each year hoping they will make our list of "must go to".  In the next several blog posts I want to talk about several of our favorites and a few we hope to add.

Number one on our list is always wherever Chef Tim Creehan is currently located.  Tim has successfully moved around through the years and his most recent restaurant is Cuvee Bistro. Tim and his partners Tim and Pam Wellborn took over Cuvee Beach a few years ago and they really have it going on there. Tim has made major renovations to the facility while upgrading the food and menu.

I was treated this year to my favorite fish, trigger fish. If you don't already know, trigger fish is not plentiful so it is seldom on a menu. However, Tim prides himself on buying the best local seafood, as well as vegetables. I lucked out on this particular night as trigger fish was a menu "special". Trigger fish is a mild, white fish and very firm in texture. He sauteed the fish with a light lemon (I declined the curry powder) and it was superb.  It was served with amazingly delicious cheese grits.

My daughter was with us and she tried the tuna steak, rare (her plate was completely clean when finished so I can only deduce it was great) with vegetables. My wife, Robin, ordered salmon with vegetables and salad.

I also ordered a beautiful veggie pizza as a appetizer. The pizza was crisp and warm and the perfect size to get the juices flowing. We topped the meal off with a dessert sampler--key lime pie, banana cream pie, tiramisu, chocolate cake and a few others that escape me right now--WOW!

In addition to the great food, the decor of Cuvee Bistro is stunning and the service is top notch. Most of Tim's staff has been with him for extended periods of time and each time I have visited they have made us feel right at home.

I should also mention that dinner guests can also purchase Tim's fabulous cookbook, The Simple Cuisine of Chef Tim Creehan right off of his menu. Tim knows a little bit about marketing and branding as evidenced by his investment in developing and selling his own cookbook. If you are ever in the Destin area be sure to mark Cuvee Bistro down as a "culinary must experience".

No comments:

Post a Comment