Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Another Signature Recipe

In my last post I discussed how one great recipe in a book was usually worth the value of the price paid. After posting that piece, a sample copy of the latest printing of Saint Louis Days Saint Louis Nights was brought into my office. This book was first released in 1994 and is now in its 8th printing.

This book is another example of how a "Signature" recipe makes the purchase seem like a bargain. On page 43 is the recipe for "St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake". This recipe originated in the 1930's when a thrifty German baker added the wrong proportions of ingredients into his cake batter. The finished cake was a gooey but delicious mess that is now titled, "St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake". It is only found in St Louis and is well worth the price of the book.

In fact, it is so good that I think I will make one of these this weekend to enjoy during the football games.

No comments:

Post a Comment