Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What does it take to publish a great community cookbook?

One of the most commonly asked questions I am often asked is “What does it take to make a successful community cookbook?” It is a very complex question. If the answer were simple, my job would be much easier. Over the years, I’ve found there are a few necessary key ingredients for a successful project.

Let’s start with the easy part of the equation. Just like any product one buys, there must be a good value associated with the purchase. For example, even for a good cause, many people are unlikely to “overpay” simply to support a charity. Even if they are OK doing so once as a donation, they are not going to purchase multiple copies. Therefore, it is important for some research to be initiated to determine a vision for the cookbook. This will include finding out what other community cookbooks exist in the area, what are their themes, which are popular, price points. Another good technique is to ask members of the organization what their favorite cookbooks are and WHY?

If there are well known community cookbooks in the area, it will be critical to make sure that you differentiate your title, as well as the book’s content, price and format.

When it comes to content my own personal opinion is that too many organizations try to out-do the trade publishing houses rather than concentrate on who they are. In other words, pretty pictures do not make a successful community cookbook—great recipes and great information about the recipes make a great community cookbook. While I love great food photography, I am much more interested in the recipes. As great a chef as Mario Batali is, I’ve never had success with his recipes. (This is probably due more to my lack of professional culinary skills) I’m certainly only interested in recipes I can follow with good results.

I also like to know who submitted the recipe—if someone is kind enough to sign their name to a recipe, I am reasonably certain that it has received compliments in the past and tastes good. I would also like to know how many servings it makes, any known history of the recipe, variation ideas, or serving suggestions and tips. To most of us, this extraneous information is almost as important as the recipe itself.

Another item consumers tell me they like in local cookbooks is information on the culture of the community through their food. How do they celebrate various holidays, events, etc.? Are there local products that are popular? What can be substituted for these local products if not available where I live? Are there any humorous stories associated with the recipes? What can you tell me about this dish, these ingredients, the preparation and cookbook process that will allow me to know you a little bit better?

Later this week I will talk about some other features that contribute to a great community cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment