Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Great Product Without Great Service is Useless


Most of my writing has focused on specific cookbook titles, recipes and food. That being said, there is one other HUGE ingredient that every organization should focus on in successfully marketing and selling their cookbooks.

I have had 2 recent “run-ins” with companies where I was the customer and they ran me off. Where is customer service these days? Do companies not understand that they lose revenue when they make a customer mad over some bureaucratic policy?

Experience # 1.)

Last night my wife, youngest daughter and I pulled into Outback Steakhouse for a nice, casual family dinner. I dropped the girls off to get us checked in and drove off to look for a parking spot. The weather was stormy so I wanted to park close by. I circled the lot twice only to discover that the only single parking space (other than handicapped which I would never use) was in the “Take Out” area. I pulled in since there were NO other spots available. As I got up to the front door I was about to explain to the hostess what I had done and to suggest that I would come out in 10-15 minutes and look for another available spot—before I could even begin discussing another employee who had followed me around the building said I couldn’t park there. I explained twice my challenge and suggested solution only to be told I should park at the overflow lot in Rooms to Go 50 yards away. I told her I wasn’t eating at Rooms to Go but rather at Outback and needed a spot to park—she again told me I had to move. What did we do? We went to Logan’s and spent our $100.00 there.

Experience #2.)

Last week I had booked a non-refundable room at a Hampton Inn for 2 nights on a business trip. A new appointment came up that required me to be 3 hours away from that hotel. Logically, I needed to cancel 1 night in that hotel and re-book in another hotel (same chain) in the other city. After making multiple calls to both the hotel and my “diamond” membership service center, the hotel refused. Therefore, I had to reschedule my meeting, thus inconveniencing a prospective client. I will not be spending my usual $3,000--$5,000 in hotel stays with that company going forward.

The point I am making is that we often forget how important customer service is until we experience awful customer service. I encourage you to run your cookbook sales efforts with the customer in mind—put them first. Exceptions can always be made to any rule if legitimate circumstances exist to do so. I am not suggesting that you let someone fleece you, but keeping an open mind and treating others as you expect to be treated should be rule # 1.

Simply to illustrate that this is not just a theory, but what we have practiced since 1982 when we launched the current business model, I would like to share with you a note I received from our good friend and client, Holly Clegg. Unfortunately, when we printed Holly’s latest and greatest cookbook, Too Hot in the Kitchen, there was a small ink spot that should not have appeared on one of the pages—not a huge issue, but nevertheless one that should not have happened. Here is what Holly wrote to me regarding our handling of the situation.

“Dave,

I just wanted to tell you what an excellent and above average job everyone is doing in spite of all the problems. I am so impressed with Powell that he was so conscientious and didn’t let my book be not the best it could be with catching the printing error. Anne is almost a step ahead of me as she is on top of everything that I throw at her….and then extremely helpful and communicative…they have been a pleasure to deal with even under these circumstances. It is important to me as a long standing client that you are behind me with all this. Please know that Anne and Powell really rate in my books and represent FRP in a way you would want it to be recognized.

And, you know I wouldn’t even be there if it wasn’t for Sheila…so you know how much I adore and think of her! Now, here’s to a glass of champagne to celebrate!”
-Holly Clegg



Interestingly, in my meeting with the prospective client I mentioned in Experience # 2, I learned that I had been invited because we had received such excellent recommendations from other clients for quality service. Keep AAA Service as one of your top goals in any business dealings, and you will be rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment