Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A BOOK THAT MAKES SENSE

My wife and I drove to Lexington, KY recently to watch my Kentucky Wildcats in action at Rupp Arena. I had promised my friend and client Emilie McAuley that I would stop in if I was going to Lexington.  I have never in my life used the term "OMG" but that is the only phrase I can conjure to describe my eyes as we entered Irish Acres. This place is just incredible. Never has anyone deserved a cookbook to sell and promote her business more than than Emilie--the place is fabulous.

The business was started by her parents over 40 years ago in Ashland, KY and then moved to Lexington.  It is an antique store located in the heart of horse country a short nine mile drive from the Blue Grass Parkway that is scenic and a great part of the experience.  Upon entering the one time elementary school the only phrase that one can utter is "oh my gosh". I have been in many antique stores but never one so incredibly nice. 

Emilie took us to The Glitz (the restaurant located downstairs from the store) as a part of our personal tour and pampered us with two tasty desserts which we enjoyed  immensely.  For the short time we had left, she let us roam the shop and all I can say is that we will be back in the spring just to spend some additional time.

Emilie's new cookbook, Lunch at the Glitz, is truly a work of love. She and her mom started discussing the book over 20 years ago and even met with our now retired Publishing Consultant during the initial  research period in 1991.  "Life" got in the way of the book and it didn't become a reality until this year. Emilie decided last year that she wanted to get the book out while her father was still alive as he was a huge part of the family business. Even though his health is failing he was very excited when she gave him his copy.  Lunch at the Glitz is a beautiful  story of the business and the recipes including some great photographs. The book retails for $29.95. 

Lunch at the Glitz is a perfect example of how a unique location, region or event can utilize a cookbook as an extension of the brand.  People want to remember great experiences of places visited so being able to take a small piece of The Glitz home makes perfect sense. Now Emilie's customers can enjoy The Glitz all year long as well as be reminded that it is time for another visit.

While technology might push us into e-formats and consumers might want to get recipes online, Lunch at the Glitz  is a great example of how a printed book can find its niche.

No comments:

Post a Comment