Friday, March 16, 2012

A Testimonial from a Restaurant Cookbook

As a savvy marketer and restaurateur, Dickie Brennan of New Orleans realized years ago the value of developing a custom cookbook to support his brand. I'd like to testify to that value. My wife and I took a trip to New Orleans last week and joined up with two other couples who were attending the SEC Tournament with us.

One of our group had been to New Orleans many times and had a few restaurants lined up ahead of time. Since I was familiar with The Flavor of New Orleans from the Palace Cafe, I suggested we eat there on our second night in town. I made the reservation and was impressed with how nice the receptionist was, and later when they called my cell phone to confirm our reservation.

When we entered the restaurant we were greeted warmly and seated.  This was just the beginning of a great evening.  Now, remember that the only reason I knew about this particular restaurant was because I was familiar with their cookbook.  Our server, Dante, was terrific--funny, efficient and very personable.  Amazingly all of the menu selections are also in The Flavors of New Orleans.  The meal was THE BEST I EVER ATE!  In fact, the entire experience was so good that I wrote to Mr. Brennan and complimented him and the staff. The table side Banana's Foster and the story behind it was the highlight of the experience.

This is a testimony of how a book serves as a marketing tool and pays for itself at the same time. Whether it is a restaurant, resort, or a community organization, a successful and well-marketed cookbook can bring customers in, get them to return or simply motivate them to give you their support through purchasing one of your books.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post Dave. We get a lot of restaurant cookbook collectors at our online store. A cookbook inspired by a restaurant really helps perpetuate the brand image as well as the chef(s) behind it.
    Wendy Guerin, Cookbook Village

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy. One great thing about Dickie's book is that he doesn't hold anything back--he even includes recipes for his sauces + has a short story about each recipe.

    ReplyDelete